I feel like I went on some Hari Raya lamb slaughtering session today. Played Chamber Jammin' composed by our very own Ah-Gong from Mep class '03 for the TJ MEP alumni concert. Its actually an arrangement of Mary had a little lamb to different genres like RnB, Hiphop, Blues. Anyway, I was meant to enter the stage at bar 8 or so and play the full tune of Mary had a little lamb but it turned out that I couldn't hear what was going on the stage from back stage and entered the stage late so i waited till the next cycle of the tune and played Mary had a little lamb to it and it was like proper improvisation. Never mind about that, I was trying to process the harmony line in my brain quickly so that I could figure what key to play in and ended up having to stop the tune halfway cos of the nature of the harmony line... so in effect, i massacred Mary's Lamb!!! SO SORRY Ah Gong!!! It felt so wrong just leaving the tune hanging in mid-air! Actually come to think of it, i think i was playing London Bridge is Falling Down. So maybe the bridge fell down after all! :D :S :X
And my solo was dreadful. 4 days work resulted in a stupid hand cramp. My right hand index finger and thumb went extremely numb and I couldn't grip the bow properly. As a result, I ended up having a right hand that looked like a claw! Argh. So embarrassing man. Sigh. Then again, shit happens in performances anyway. I think I just need to rebuild my stamina. The audience were probably thinking after they heard me 'who in the right frame of mind will give that girl a phd studentship and scholarships to pursue her phd?' ARGH.
Miss Low was right - should play something more light hearted. Actually, I was contemplating playing something cheesy but then against the rest of the concert repertoire, i wasn't sure if cheesy would go down well. This is one of the many inconveniences of being away from Singapore - no time to practice with accompanist, no scores with me, brought back the wrong concert attire... Argh.
Thankfully I'm never taking part in a TJC concert again. At least not while i'm still studying. Its just way too much of a hassle trying to fly back in time, paying so much for an air ticket, and then feel stressed, miss job interviews etc. I've been back for a week, and i've only 11 days to go because I have to be back in Birmingham for other gigs and stuff.
Now I just have piano to focus on. Let's get this accompaniment out of the way then maybe I can at least chill for a bit before the running around begins in Birmingham again.
Monday, August 13, 2007
A whole new meaning to a nursery rhyme...
Scrawled by
Ruth
at
1:48:00 AM


No comments:
Post a Comment