So. .there's been many mishaps for tonight's concert, at least for me that is. Initially not being able to fly home, then managing to cough the money out, then realizing that I can't play Korngold anymore because of time constraints. This week has just been a week of craziness and pushing myself to the limits.
1. I had to re-learn the Prokofiev Solo Violin Sonata in 4 days - I last played it in 2004, won £200 out of it in a music competition in the U.K. in 2004. I thought I could revive the piece in me, but unfortunately, some pieces are best left to the memories buried at the back of my brain. If I had to play the Korngold Violin Concerto again, I'd probably make a mess of it. I fear that tonight i'll do the same to the solo violin sonata but I shall persevere.
Lesson Learnt: Mishaps might happen along the way as you try to attain a goal. People might discourage you from running the full length of the race, but its up to you to make a success out of a bad situation and feel good about yourself.
2. I received an SMS at 3.30pm on National Day telling me to email programme notes for the Prokofiev soon since I changed my piece. Turns out, all that was needed was an emcee script. My programme notes turned out to be 3/4 of an A4 page. All that was done in under 2 hours.
Lesson Learnt: Even if your work seems wasted, always see the situation in a positive light cos I sure learnt a hell lot more about Prokofiev's life while researching for the programme notes. Also, its never impossible to write something comprehensible and fit for public presentation in a short space of time as long as you know what you are doing.
3. I've just been given various projects to embark on which I never imagined I would. My life might be a little more busy in the coming months. Yes, some of you will tell me that my life is already packed and that i have to slow down. But such opportunities don't come my way everyday.
Lesson Learnt: Time can be sought after. It all boils down to good time management and being focused during study time. Yes, i've had a very busy life this academic year with my PhD, organising the UMS Tour, organising Ken's Concert in Singapore, working, teaching and sitting on the Summer Fest Committee. But I still found time to spend with the other half and had days when I could just relax and watch DVDs/TV. The reason? Effective Time Management, waking up early in the morning so that more can be done in a day.
4. I've been thinking about my 'working life' in Birmingham seriously over the last few days. Some people will know that i've been seriously thinking of quitting my job which I've had for the past 2-3 years. Just when I thought that I'm probably stuck at this job till i graduate (which doesn't exactly generate much income for me...), I had a brilliant idea which requires my other half to join in a team effort with me. Now the plan is to just make sure i see the idea through... I think there's a little entrepreneur burning inside me!
Lesson Learnt: Always keep thinking of new opportunities, new challenges in life. You never know what that fish you ate for lunch might have provided you in terms of brain juice and brain power!
I hope that this evening's concert will run smoothly at least for me... Its been a while since I stood up in front of an audience and played a solo sonata/work. At least I'm enthusiastic and looking forward to my performance tonight. Even if I screw up tonight, I know that there are the few people who will always be there to cheer me on. Even if I make a huge mess out of the performance, at least this week has taught me an awful lot about myself, my love for the violin and the few strong friendships that I have in my life - the people who will stick by me through thick and thin. Thank you guys.. let's show them what MEPers@TJC are made of :)
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Living and Learning..
Scrawled by
Ruth
at
10:46:00 AM


No comments:
Post a Comment