DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Friday, August 17, 2007

A moment of Inspiration

It's not so much how busy you are, but why you are busy.
The bee is praised. The mosquito is swatted.
~ Mary O'Connor

I had a sudden inspiration for the thesis last night - all of a sudden, it became clear to me how I should divide my thesis chapters and how I can make it all coherent and comprehensible! Right now, my PhD research is like a jigsaw puzzle, trying to piece bits together and make sense of it. So much so that a piece of the jigsaw lies with the Berlin Philharmonic, in a pro gramme booklet which dates back to 1897! I managed to write a letter in German last night to the Berlin Phil asking them for help, but if they are unwilling to scan/copy the programme for me, I might have to fly to Berlin next year!

Another piece of the jigsaw lies in the library of Trinity College in Dublin - so that's where I'm going in October. Thankfully, the university can help fund some of these research trips!

Maybe my life as a PhD student was destined from a young age - I absolutely love jigsaw puzzles, and I love traveling and exploring new places! Bring on academic year 07/08 - I can't wait for the jigsaw to be pieced together so that I can see the big and beautiful picture.

So now it is time to disassemble the parts of the jigsaw puzzle or to piece another one together, for I find that, having come to the end of my story, my life is just beginning.





No comments: