DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Friday, August 17, 2007

Scheiße happens...

Since returning home 2 weeks ago, I realised that there's been a huge influx of dog poo around my estate. I've been observing the street for a long time especially since I usually have to go out in the late afternoon for accompaniment practice which is the time of the day which people like to walk their dogs. Every other day or so, I will spot the 'culprits' but I've never dared to confront the person. Today, I noticed a Japanese lady not cleaning up after her dog. I had a good mind to tell her off but I didn't know how/ dare to.

Since when did people stopped cleaning up after their dogs? Isn't it good manners and practice to always carry some plastic bags or newspaper etc. to clear up the mess? I feel sorry that the road sweeper uncle has to clean it up all the time. The mess leaves behind a stench and its really not very considerate for the people living around the estate too. Worse of all, my road sweeper uncle is a Muslim and for him to have to clear up dog's poo is just so horrible since as a muslim, he shouldn't even be going near a dog itself!

What I've observed though is that 90% of the people who don't clean up the mess are actually expatriates or foreigners living in Singapore (in my estate at least). Ang Mohs, PRCs, Japanese... I think it boils down to the fact that they don't feel a sense of belonging to Singapore and therefore take our clean and green environment for granted. I would never dream of littering in Singapore - not because of the S$1,000 fine that comes with the act, but rather, Singapore is known to be an extremely clean city and I wouldn't want to tarnish that label on my home. However, I wouldn't litter in England because its just not right to do so and who am I to leave excrement for some other person to clean up. If I had a dog, I wouldn't allow my dog to poo all over the park and outside people's houses too cos it's just a very irresponsible act.

I really hope that someone will do something to these messy people and teach them to take care of their dog's business.

Sh*t does happen sometimes.. and its landed on my neighbourhood :(


No comments: