DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Award for the most hilarious piece of news goes to....

... PM Lee Hsien Loong.

There's been much talk and press coverage recently about the Cabinet shuffle, and PM Lee has also expressed concern about trying to find a successor for his position. I read the articles word by word, slowly trying to stomach in the changes in our political scene and how this will have an impact on my country as well as society. The tone was serious in all the articles as with most political pieces in the news. But when I read this paragraph, I burst out laughing rather loudly.

' I've got some players we brought in, in 2001. Some more came in, in 2006. I'm looking for more, because I still need more.

It's one of the most urgent jobs now because if I start looking for people now and field them in the next election, two elections after that will be 13 years from now. I'm 56, plus 13, it's 69. That is very late. So there's no time to be lost.

We must look for people in their 30s or early 40s now, to prepare for that situation 12, 13 years down the road.

Say I get run over by a bus tomorrow.
Yes, among the present ministers, one will take over and the country will go on. But you still have that succession problem two elections from now. How are you going to solve that problem? You can't solve it by saying you accept somebody a little bit older. '

May I ask you Mr. Prime Minister, what are the chances of you dying on the road? You travel around in a chauffeured driven car, you never have to walk along the roadsides of busy roads like an average Singaporean, and you do not even ride a bike along the road. Neither do you have to take a public bus for that matter. Perhaps the only time you walk along the roads is when you're rallying for Ang Mo Kio GRC during the General Elections, trying to garner more votes against the opposing party. Even then, you have many MPs (read: Small fry) standing around you, not forgetting your bodyguards!

Perhaps the only consolation I get from that article is that at 56, our PM still has some sense of humour and can make funny jokes like that to tickle his people.

No comments: