DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Friday, January 11, 2008

A chilled/chilly day

It was so windy today that the roof of the office building opposite the Town Hall starting falling off onto the pavement. I was at work and was wondering why there were so many policemen and ambulances etc milling around. Some roads were blocked off. D and I concluded it might have been an accident. But as I walked out of work, a policeman informed me that part of the rooftop of this building had disintegrated and was falling onto the pavements. That was the strength of the gale force winds we experienced in Birmingham today.

As I was walking through the park to get to R's house, I had to cling onto a lamp post at one point because I thought I was going to be blown away. It was like experiencing a hurricane I presume, except that it wasn't quite as serious as a hurricane.

R and I managed to sneak in a chilled out dinner to celebrate 2 years 9 months/ 1000 days (as of Saturday 5th Jan). We had a nice dinner in a very relaxed setting but couldn't helped being amused at the conversation that was taking place at the next table. This middle aged woman was talking so much about her dates and also the way she tried to chat up the waiter just made us giggle so much. But the dinner was nice and simple, and that made me smile :)

Also, on the train on the way to work there was this lady who was coughing really badly. At first I didn't think much about it but thought that her cough sounded really bad. So I decided to be daring and asked her if she had her cough for long. She said that she'd been having it for months and went to several doctors but nothing's working for her. So I told her the Rosemary and Thyme trick (Boil up some fresh rosemary and thyme in water and drink the water...) and she looked so grateful. I try my best each morning to make the train a nicer place to be in when i go to work. Everyone looks so glum and depressed that its a little sad. But telling that lady the little trick to ease her coughing, that made me smile :)

Getting to talk to D today before he took over his shift was nice too. He's about the same age as my mum and its great to talk to him. If there's one thing I really like about my job in THSH, is that I get to talk to the older generation who have been through life longer than I have and have seen more than I have. There's a lot to learn from these people. D is especially nice and his wife and him make a really sweet couple. I always regard him as my special English uncle. But my mum always says that I'm quite weird in the sense that wherever I go, I'll have these 'uncles' looking out for me! He would probably be the person I will miss most apart from my PhD supervisor when I leave Birmingham eventually...Anyway, getting to talk to him for a bit was nice and that made me smile :)

D commented that I seemed happy during yesterday's shift when he thought I might be a little more 'reflective' cos i would be upset that my mum had left Birmingham for home. To be honest, I was sad. But this is an example of how things don't always appear as they seem on the outside. I just tell myself, its only 7-8 more weeks then I'll get to see my mum again. As long as I keep thinking along those lines, I won't feel as miserable. What's the point of feeling miserable when there's a way round to make oneself feel better?

And lastly, I might have some good news coming my way in the next few days according to my Ph.D supervisor. That's more than enough cause to smile big time :)




No comments: