DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A fulfilling three days..

I'm just back from the CHARM/RMA Annual Conference where I presented some research findings. It was a fulfilling three days worth of academic discussion, exchanging research ideas and finding out what's 'new' in the field.

It was mentally exhausting yet extremely exciting to be discussing musicology all day. By all day, i literally mean from breakfast time at 8am (breakfast table talk) to 9pm when people retire back to their rooms. Yet, i've learnt SOO much not just musicology wise, but also how to give good presentations, what makes effective powerpoint presentations, how to engage someone in discussions etc. Friendships were formed, new contacts made... I feel extremely inspired to be doing so much more for my PhD!

More importantly, I felt that I gave a good presentation, and together with my co-speakers, David Milsom and Edward Cross, I think our session was a very good one where lots of intellectual questions were raised which made us think hard in the Q&A.

I'm also glad to say that I've been invited to give a talk in one of the Royal Academies (won't say which one for now). That will take place in Feb next year and I'm really excited.

All in all, the conference in Royal Holloway was a very good one. It made me think that so much has to be done to champion performance practice and the importance of research into recordings. I hope that I'll be able to return to another CHARM conference with a presentation in hand again :)

No comments: