So i just got back from London today. It was a good 2 plus days as we walked endlessly down Oxford Street, Canary Wharf, Greenwich etc etc. I got to meet up with Holly which was really great cos we had such a laugh and when we left Greenwich, I felt as though I was leaving a huge part of me behind. Memories of undergrad days just came flooding back as Holly and I laughed about Heidi and other hilarious stories. Those familiar sounds which were common, everyday ones have now become a rarity and ones i truly cherish.
I also met up with the group from TJC who were so jet lagged after their flight from Singapore, but more importantly, I finally got to see HP. I've been missing my friends so much and even though poot is with me, I just found myself crying ever so often because i miss friends like HP. Strange I know but the feeling is just inexplicable.
Being in London these few days have taught me a few things:
1) A friend is one who looks out for you and cares for you in unexpected ways
2) A friend is one who you miss so much and when you finally get to meet after a long long time (in my case, outside Big Ben/ Westminster Abbey), the feeling is just so fuzzy and i find myself skipping along the way to Trafalgar Square.
3) I love my bed so much in Birmingham. After a night of some silly woman's snoring (like a truck which had gear problems and couldn't make it up a steep hill - and she snored from 12.30am - 6.45am, during which i got NO sleep at all), I'm so grateful to be back in Birmingham.
4) Sleeping bags + rucksacks = turtle!! (i'll post pictures up soon.. Proko, you will laugh very hard when you see the photos)
5) There's a little portion of London which resembles Singapore so much that I just wish that I could work/live there (R can work there i'm sure if he has to... haha)
6) If i had the means and opportunity (given that I actually graduate from this PhD now), i would very much love to study in Trinity. Such a gorgeous campus and it overlooks the River Thames (which is a very important factor)
7) Poot can eat fast if she wants to
8) Poot can also be rather imaginative when it comes to food/faces.
9) Poot sleeps anywhere, at any time
10) It pays to be a little ungracious in London sometimes
Just before I returned to Birmingham, i was faced with a problem caused by rather irresponsible people which saw me actually raising my voice at undergrads down my mobile phone. Perhaps it was the stress, perhaps it was just the whole point of irresponsible messing others about etc etc. But I just learnt never to rely on others cos they can just mess you about with a text message. Don't think I've experienced a day where I was swearing the F word in my brain so much. Poor brain - must be very very polluted at the moment.
And also a random thought: wouldn' t the department be very very tired of violin concertos by now? Whoever has been in the orchestras for Korngold(2005), Bruch(2006) and then Sibelius(2007) ever since their first year must be thinking that the music department only ever does violin concertos. Please 2008, please bring something new to this department.
Off to study weird Contract Law case studies now. This is what being 'kay khiang' (Chinese Dialect for 'too spontaneous') does to your life. 2 degrees, 2 committees, 3 jobs... Bleah...
Just can't wait for R to get back from Warwick now. What on earth do a bunch of graduate engineers do in warwick?
Ok.. Contract Law, Contract Law....
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Scrawled by
Ruth
at
9:38:00 AM


No comments:
Post a Comment