DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Contradictions

Is it me or does my mum always contradict herself?

Let's see:


 

Contradiction No. 1

She says: 'At your age, you must maintain an image. Wear proper clothes and learn to look presentable'

What she really means: All those ah-ma (grandmother) clothes that I buy for you (both my mum and I share clothes – that explains EVERYTHING) are suitable for you. Just wear. Don't ask. (Try asking if you can buy your own clothes and get your head bitten off)


 

Contradiction No. 2

She says: When you're young, you must learn how to drive. (and when told a few years ago I didn't want a car….) 'so you're telling me that when I'm old I still have to take public bus and taxi is it?


 

What she really means: I don't want you buying a car at all. Learn driving because it is a good skill to have anyway. You know, something that isn't good enough to write into your CV, but good enough because you never know when the taxi or bus driver might decide to stop driving and leave you to complete your journey in his taxi/bus.

Oh and this one's the best: 'I don't want you driving on any motorway or expressway. Too dangerous!!' So when I asked her how I should get from East Coast to Jurong, the reply was: 'Singapore not everything need expressway.'

And upon mentioning that I should try to save up to buy a car given her angry response 3 years ago when I said I don't want to buy a car, the reply was: 'Car is a huge expense. Nowadays in Singapore, nobody buys a car! I save a lot by not having a car at all!' (Urm yah… do you save time??)


 

Contradiction No. 3

She says: Try to get a lecturing job upon graduation.


 

What she really means: Try to get a lecturing job, and I want you to be doing private teaching every evening and all weekend cos private teaching income is 'tax free'. (Eh, people also need to rest, hor…)


 

There are times when I don't wonder at all why I'm so cynical and lack self-confidence in myself when talking to my mum (which is another irony as I'm rather self-confident in life outside my relationship with my mum)

In fact, it could be an Asian mum thing to be able to crush all your dreams in one sentence, but sometimes it does drive me nuts.

No comments: