I'm in Durham for a few days for a conference and I have to say that this city is pretty. The cathedral is outstanding and in the sunshine, its even better (though i've not had much sunshine here).
The conference on the other hand can get pretty grim - for example I've just excused myself from a massive session on Schenker and performance. Nonetheless, there's been some brilliant papers given and I've learnt a lot from various academics. Even better still is to get to meet the extraordinare Charles Rosen, who's books many music students have devoured and taken as gospel truth. He's getting on in age now but it doesn't deter him from performing the following programme in a recital tonight - its a very humbling experience indeed.
(Note: the first half of the concert all comprises of Chopin's works)
Nocturne in B major, op. 62 no. 1
Nocturne in E major, op. 62 no. 2
Barcarolle, op. 60
Mazurka in A minor, op. 59 no. 1
Mazurka in A flat, op. 59 no. 2
Mazurka in F sharp minor, op. 59 no. 3
Scherzo No. 4 in E, op. 54
Waltzes Op. 64
1. D flat major
2. C sharp minor
3. A flat major
Ballade no. 4 in F minor, op. 52
*Interval* (whew!)
Davidsbundlertanze, op. 6 by Schumann
In case some of you didn't know, the Davidsbundlertanze is a work comprising of 18 pieces composed by Schumann in 1837. I've not heard this piece before and I'm really looking forward to it tonight. And I can forsee myself being speechless by the end of the night by Rosen's remarkable line-up of pieces!
More pictures in the next entry...
Saturday, July 12, 2008
In Durham
Scrawled by
Ruth
at
7:18:00 PM


No comments:
Post a Comment