As I sit in a rather deserted Town Hall on New Year's Eve waiting to get the nod to lock the place up on the last day of 2007, it's hard not to reflect on my life the past year.
January - I presented in my first ever Royal Musical Association Conference in Bristol and made some musicologists friends who've been very dear to me.


February - I welcomed the year of the pig (which is my year in the chinese zodiac).
March - Went to the States for the first time in my life to attend a Performance Practice conference in Rhodes College, Memphis. It was great fun! I also went to Boston and Washington D.C. :)

April - I organised a piano in Singapore for my Ph.D. supervisor which went down very well with the music critic for Singapore's main English newspaper.

May- Nothing much really happened except for my mum's first trip to the U.K. which was enjoyable at times; and other times, not so enjoyable.
June - Had the summer festival of music 2007 in which I was sponsorship manager for the committee and led the Symphony Orchestra concert in the Adrian Boult Hall. Borodin Symphony No. 2 was very good fun and I had a ball of a time. The orchestra tour to Frankfurt which I had been organising for about 9 months took place and it was a very sweet rewards to have successful concerts and to raise good money for a very deserving charity.

July - A good friend got brilliant results in his LRSM piano exam. My own students also did amazingly well in their ABRSM music exams. I managed to bag a high scorer and I'm amazed at how my students will rise to the occasion to achieve the best results they deserve! I also went back to Singapore which was nice.
August - After some persuasion from my mum, I got my ears pierced!! :) (i'll never regret that decision!!) I also took part in the TJC MEP Alumni concert which must have been the worst solo recital i've ever given. Ever. Biggest news of the month would be that my sister got engaged!
September- I presented at the Royal Musical Association/CHARM conference at Royal Holloway University which is a big deal for a PhD student like me trying to find a niche and gain some recognition in my field. It was great fun! Houwping came to visit too and we had a ball of a time!!!!! Also, Prokofiev started his music studies in Birmingham University!! :D
October - I went to Dublin, Ireland, this time for some research. I dare say that its the best trip R and I have ever taken despite picking up a very horrible cold virus on the journey back.
November - Proko and I both celebrated our birthdays. However, this month was a rather terrible month in terms of school work, my jobs and teaching....
December - My mum visited UK for the 2nd time and she's still here now!! I also led the University Symphony Orchestra concert in Symphony Hall which would probably have been the very last time in my university life. My students again did well in their ABRSM exams - 100% distinction this time round.
All in all, 2007 has been a great year for me - lots of experiences, lessons were learnt, friendships were made and more importantly, i've learnt more about myself - what I'm capable/incapable of and how to improve myself by day.

May- Nothing much really happened except for my mum's first trip to the U.K. which was enjoyable at times; and other times, not so enjoyable.
June - Had the summer festival of music 2007 in which I was sponsorship manager for the committee and led the Symphony Orchestra concert in the Adrian Boult Hall. Borodin Symphony No. 2 was very good fun and I had a ball of a time. The orchestra tour to Frankfurt which I had been organising for about 9 months took place and it was a very sweet rewards to have successful concerts and to raise good money for a very deserving charity.

July - A good friend got brilliant results in his LRSM piano exam. My own students also did amazingly well in their ABRSM music exams. I managed to bag a high scorer and I'm amazed at how my students will rise to the occasion to achieve the best results they deserve! I also went back to Singapore which was nice.
August - After some persuasion from my mum, I got my ears pierced!! :) (i'll never regret that decision!!) I also took part in the TJC MEP Alumni concert which must have been the worst solo recital i've ever given. Ever. Biggest news of the month would be that my sister got engaged!
September- I presented at the Royal Musical Association/CHARM conference at Royal Holloway University which is a big deal for a PhD student like me trying to find a niche and gain some recognition in my field. It was great fun! Houwping came to visit too and we had a ball of a time!!!!! Also, Prokofiev started his music studies in Birmingham University!! :D
October - I went to Dublin, Ireland, this time for some research. I dare say that its the best trip R and I have ever taken despite picking up a very horrible cold virus on the journey back.
November - Proko and I both celebrated our birthdays. However, this month was a rather terrible month in terms of school work, my jobs and teaching....
December - My mum visited UK for the 2nd time and she's still here now!! I also led the University Symphony Orchestra concert in Symphony Hall which would probably have been the very last time in my university life. My students again did well in their ABRSM exams - 100% distinction this time round.
All in all, 2007 has been a great year for me - lots of experiences, lessons were learnt, friendships were made and more importantly, i've learnt more about myself - what I'm capable/incapable of and how to improve myself by day.


No comments:
Post a Comment