DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Sunday, October 21, 2007

How much am I valued as a staff of THSH?

So, it was a full house tonight as I expected. I went to work as per normal in my happy self only to find out that I was put on a door on my own in the circle. To top that, I had to sell Programmes at the beginning when doors opened to the public, tear tickets, show people to the seats and take care of wheelchair patrons.

Halfway, a wheelchair-bound lady came with her husband and said that they booked proper seats and not wheelchair spaces (ie. she wanted to sit on a normal seat). In order to resolve that problem, I had to run down to get the duty manager up to solve the problem. In doing so, I left my door unguarded and people went in on their own, sat on the wrong seats etc. Also, people couldn't buy programmes when I ran out and I had to run down, literally grab whatever I could off the programme desk and shoot straight back up to my door, only to realise that concert had just started. So there i was trying to sell programmes while a fanfare was going on.

During the interval, I had 2 doors to guard including the job to sell 90 ice creams. So there i was carrying this stupid blooming ice cream box around while trying to sort people's seats out as they were all sat in the wrong seat to begin with, stop people from taking drinks into the hall, answer people's enquiries about where the programmes desk, toilets etc were located, sort out someone's misplaced pre-concert drink order and sell the blooming ice creams.

It just made me wonder what kind of message the management is trying to send out to both its employee and customers:

To the employee: What the heck, just do as you're told. We know you're not paid enough but you still gotta do your job. Face it or leave the job.

To the customer: We don't care if you're not served on time or you have only one steward to look after you. You wait all you can for a programme, for somebody to come sort out your seat etc... Afterall, you should be smart enough to find your own seat or your way around.

Bloody hell. Worst night ever.

No comments: