And so the first Symphony Orchestra rehearsal of the year came and went, and so did orchestral auditions 2007 edition. I wonder if it's just me becoming more and more cynical and grumpy as I get older and feel an increasingly uncomfortable age gap between undergrads and myself, but I felt that auditions this year weren't as great as the previous years. This is my 4th year doing the auditions and something was seriously lacking in the air. I just felt extremely tired and wondering aloud why on earth I even put myself in the position once again.
We played through Beethoven 7 today during rehearsal, and yes the adrenaline was present in the 4th movement. But having played it before in my 3rd year with a WONDERFUL orchestra comprising of musicians of Birmingham Uni from the distant past, something was lacking. The last time i performed it in the Barber Concert Hall, there was so much charisma and communication between the players. Maybe it's because its only the first rehearsal today, maybe when we finally get to Symphony Hall the magic will be in the air. Who knows.
Maybe it's because I feel old and am so tired with University life now. I need a break and I can't wait to be in Dublin next week. Yes, it's a research trip and I have work to do in Trinity College Library, but I really hope to squeeze in some time in the evenings when I can just chill and ease my poor brain.
I really hope that I get funding for Germany and Vancouver as there is so much waiting for me out there to discover research-wise. I just realised that my PhD has brought out the little traveller in me - my supervisor travels LOADS. He's off to Cologne today which is like one of the many many cities he flies to every year to give lecture recitals, masterclasses, concerts etc. And somehow during my PhD, I seem to be travelling places more than ever and am encouraged to do so by my supervisor. In the next month, i'll be going to London, Cardiff and Leeds for various PhD related work, not forgetting Dublin next week.
For now, I need to ration whatever adrenaline left in me till Wednesday when I board that plane to Dublin, as I plough through several books over the weekend. Damn Interlibrary Loans that only last a week. Damn the stupid British Library for being so strict on their ILLs. ARGH.
Here's a grouchy me signing off.... again, another sign of getting older.
We played through Beethoven 7 today during rehearsal, and yes the adrenaline was present in the 4th movement. But having played it before in my 3rd year with a WONDERFUL orchestra comprising of musicians of Birmingham Uni from the distant past, something was lacking. The last time i performed it in the Barber Concert Hall, there was so much charisma and communication between the players. Maybe it's because its only the first rehearsal today, maybe when we finally get to Symphony Hall the magic will be in the air. Who knows.
Maybe it's because I feel old and am so tired with University life now. I need a break and I can't wait to be in Dublin next week. Yes, it's a research trip and I have work to do in Trinity College Library, but I really hope to squeeze in some time in the evenings when I can just chill and ease my poor brain.
I really hope that I get funding for Germany and Vancouver as there is so much waiting for me out there to discover research-wise. I just realised that my PhD has brought out the little traveller in me - my supervisor travels LOADS. He's off to Cologne today which is like one of the many many cities he flies to every year to give lecture recitals, masterclasses, concerts etc. And somehow during my PhD, I seem to be travelling places more than ever and am encouraged to do so by my supervisor. In the next month, i'll be going to London, Cardiff and Leeds for various PhD related work, not forgetting Dublin next week.
For now, I need to ration whatever adrenaline left in me till Wednesday when I board that plane to Dublin, as I plough through several books over the weekend. Damn Interlibrary Loans that only last a week. Damn the stupid British Library for being so strict on their ILLs. ARGH.
Here's a grouchy me signing off.... again, another sign of getting older.


No comments:
Post a Comment