DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Weather

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Busy Bee

“When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!'
Then get busy and find out how to do it.”
- Theodore Roosevelt

Recently, I've found myself having schedules that are so packed that things have to be done one after another. For example, I have a ridiculous training session today about how to manage my PhD, then teach my Grade 3 kid, then straight to the Town Hall for work. When I get back from work, I have time to cram in 3 hours of research/studying before I head to bed.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not complaining about my life.I really enjoy my life now with the teaching, working, conquering new challenges and all. My PhD research couldn't get any better and i'm really passionate and enthusiastic about it. I love my teaching because there's nothing sweeter (apart from my PhD and BSc) than seeing my kids do well in their exams and knowing that i've actually imparted wisdom to them!

I still do find the time to relax - watch Friends with R and just hang out; chat with mama over the internet, facebook/google/wikipedia/youtube surf. I guess it's down to good time management and getting my priorities right.

My mum just said to me the other day that one of her friends has a daughter who's studying overseas and commented that life is so easy and relaxed here. I guess it's a matter of how far one wants to take their commitments and work. For me, I can easily just study for my PhD and not work or do an extra BSc. The way I see it is that I'm still young and now that I have the energy and brain juices, I should push myself to the hardest without affecting my main priority - the PhD. It's also my time to get as much work experience as possible and do all the things that I won't get to do when I settle down in a full time job. After all, why should I stick inside my comfort zone and be happy? To me, in order to experience growth, we always have to be outside our comfort zone. To me, life is about a daily learning journey - how does one learn if one doesn't seek the opportunities to learn?

Anyway, the little birds are chirping outside my window, so I guess they're beckoning me to start on some research work before I go for that ridiculous training session - honestly, if i didn't know how to manage my PhD, I wouldn't be going into the 3rd year now and also wouldn't have been able to present at all those conferences. *bish*




No comments: