The World Cup is back to haunt the world again. Don't get me wrong, I do not detest football. I will watch it if Roger is watching it, or if i'm told it's going to be a good game etc. But I won't go out of my way to watch it, eg. Take leave from work etc. I've been really neutral about the whole football thing. Perhaps lately i've been following the whole Rooney-Gerrard saga a little closely.
However, last night, things changed quite a bit for me in terms of my view of England's craze for football. I finished work at Symphony Hall at 9pm and since Uncle David wasn't working, I had to get the train or bus to get home. I decided to get the bus instead cos it was nearer to walk etc... The bus stop stands along Broad Street - which is akin to Singapore's Clarke/Boat Quay. Many clubs/pubs. Except that in Singapore, it's a bit more 'orderly' cos perhaps Asians don't drink as much. Braod Street is always a bit of a nightmare. Many drunk people and there were LOTS of England supporters along Broad Street last night and it was a bit ridiculous. England won their opening match 1-0 against Paraguay and to be blunt, that 1 goal wasn't even scored by an Englishman!
Anyway, I was standing at the bus stop till about 9.40pm and still, no buses passed by. Finally I realised that perhaps buses weren't running at all. I rang up the bus hotline and it said that buses might not be running along Broad Street. Then one of the policemen patrolling Broad Street told me that trains and buses weren't running too. GOOD GAME. ARGH.
So i walked to Five Ways which is just outside Broad Street in hope that some buses would turn up. Some buses came but they weren't buses that were going my way. Waited till 10.10pm and I got fed up. By now, it was dark (the sun sets at about 9.45pm now) and I walked to another bus stop to get a random bus that would take me to an area called Harborne near my flat. And I walked home from there. Bloody hell.
Then it made me wonder.. if the opening game could cause public transport to go chaotic, what would happen IF England gets into the finals? I don't even want to think about it... perhaps supermarkets will close too! And if England DID win the World Cup, perhaps we will get an extra bank holiday to commemorate that!!!
ARGH...
Anyway, on a totally different note, the Summer Festival of Music is now underway and the committee can finally heave a sigh of relief. Everything seems to be working as planned and we just need to pray that we will break even in terms of finances now.
Scholarship interviews this Wednesday... PLEASE PRAY FOR ME! I need a full fee paying scholarship SOOOO badly!!
OK.. that's it from me now. It's sooo hot now that I can't think of anything else to type... annoying heatwave....
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Is football ruling some of our lives?
Scrawled by
Ruth
at
10:03:00 PM


No comments:
Post a Comment